Moroccan Chicken Baked with Spices
- 1.5kg whole Chicken (can also use chicken breasts)
- 3-4 tablespoons (45-60mL) Boiling Water
- Sprig of Fresh Parsley
- 500g Tomatoes
- 6 Onions (can reduce quantity to four)
- 75g Dried Apricots
- 1½ tablespoons (30mL) Honey
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) ground ginger
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup (125mL) Olive Oil
- Joint chicken into 4 pieces.
- Prepare ingredients
- Put piece of saffron into a small bowl with the boiling water.
- Chop parsley.
- Chop tomatoes coarsely (remove seeds and juice).
- Slice thinly four of the onions. (Two if reducing onion quantity)
- Finely chop two onions.
- Cut apricots into chunks.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Place chicken in casserole dish (tagine). Cover with sliced onion, then with tomato.
- Mix together chopped onions, saffron and liquid, dried apricots, honey, cinnamon, ginger,chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Add olive oil. Spoon over tomatoes.
- Cover and bake until chicken is tender - about 1½ hours (Make sure seal is good on dish, so the chicken steams properly.)
Serves about 5.
Couscous Stuffing With Almonds
Makes a good accompaniment to Moroccan Chicken Baked with Spices.
- 60g slivered almonds
- 1 cup (250mL) boiling water
- 165g quick cook couscous
- 30g butter
- 180°C oven spread almonds on tray and toast until browned (10-12 minutes). Almonds can also be toasted in a microwave.
- Cook couscous as per instructions.
- Add butter and almonds to couscous while still hot.