Eastern Pork With Apricots
- 600mL (1 imperial pint) Dry Cider
- 120g (4oz) Dried Apricots
- 70mL (4 imperial tablespoons) Oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 60g (2oz) Plain Flour
- Curry Powder
- 1.2kg (2½ pounds) Pork, diced
- 150mL (¼ pint) Chicken Stock
- 120g (4oz) Raisins
- 90mL (3 fl oz) Orange Juice (Juice of two oranges)
- 30g (1oz) Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
The Night Before
- Soak the apricots in the cider overnight. Keep the rest of the cider in case it is needed later in the recipe.
- Combine the flour and curry powder (to taste)
- Coat the pork with the flour and curry powder mixture.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pork and seal it.
- Transfer to a baking dish with a lid.
- Add the apricots and cider.
- Add the stock, raisins, orange juice, sugar, garlic and bay leaves.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook covered for 1½-2 hours at 160°C
- While cooking check after ¾ hour and add more cider if required.
The recipe also works well if the pork is substituted with chicken.